Monday, July 28, 2008

The Big Girl Potty Chair

At Ryleigh's 18 month check up I discussed potty training with Dr. Hammer. We agreed that since daycare won't help with the potty training until she is 2 and with the arrival of the new baby, to wait until I am on maternity leave to begin the potty training process. But she suggested getting a potty chair so that Ryleigh can have a few months of getting use to and learning what it is for. She is afraid of sitting on the big one, so she won't show any interest in wanting to even try it. Well, Saturday at my mom's, my sister and I were talking about potty training and so when I left there to go to Wal-Mart the conversation was still fresh in my head. I had to go back to the baby department to get wipes and we just happened to walk right past the potty chairs. So, I stood there for a moment, deciding whether or not to go ahead and get one. I decided sure, why not, what's the harm. Ryleigh and I picked one out, we got the one that plays music when you pee. When we got home, I took it out of the box and put it together and sat it down. I said to Ryleigh, "See your big girl potty chair?" She immediately started trying to strip down. So we took her shorts and diaper off and she also insisted on her shirt. She sat on it and then stood up and looked inside. Of course she didn't really pee in it. She played with it all weekend. She never did potty in it, but she knows what it is for. She knows what her potty chair is and what she is supposed to do in it. She insists on being totally nude though. She doesn't like it in the bathroom, so she had to keep it in the living room. This morning it was in the bathroom and she pushed it up against the sink to stand on it so she could brush her teeth. (she is so smart ;) ) Anyway, she now has a big girl potty chair and there is no pressure on her at all, but over the course of the next few months, she can begin to understand more and show more interest in potty training so that in February she will be more prepared and ready to start potty training. Unless, of course, she does it on her own before that... ha! I could only hope , right?

Oh and she did pee on the couch after she sat on her potty chair. oops.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I hope she keeps interest. Andrew was 18 months old when we bought his and he loved it at first. He always wanted to sit on it and actually went potty in it several times. Now he just sees it as a stool and if I ask him to sit on it to go potty, he says "no". I don't mean to burst your bubble; I was just telling you my experience. We are getting serious about potty training in a few weeks, though.